Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Kimono Jacket and Skirt set


Bought this pattern from Etsy... but I did not look like this in it... I am not small and it was unflattering..... so I started changing... it... layering lace and appliqueing .
The original pieces of fabric were not specific for this pattern, so I did not have  enoough of the colored lace to do a whole blouse or jacket... I thought this would work..???
I don't like 3/4 sleeves so I doubled the width of the trim on the trim view... and then I layered white lace to give the impression of set in sleeves.... ( I have rounded shoulders and I knew better than do something without set in sleeves...)
The back didn't look right so I added appliques on the layered lace down the middle to try to not focus on my size...

Layered with lace and then appliqued with overlay from the skirt fabric
Now for the Tier drop skirt out of yellow and I feel I will probably layer lace at the ends of the tear drops...


I also found this pattern on Etsy- The skirt will be yellow like the yellow in the jacket using the view that is pink on the front.
Thinking overlays of lace somewhere on the tear drops.
This outfit is totally experiments.. The blouse will be a faux silk white brocade but I am using a pleater board for the first time... not sure of how I will make the blouse front exactly...but all of the fabrics except the white lace came from the 2.97 room....  The white lace came from the 25.00 eveningwear table on sale.

Did the skirt...  layering just the lace flowers on the teardrops... alternating the colored lace flower and then the white ones.


Cut Out part you want to applique, used ultra hold bond but you should use lite, because the heavier ultra hold gums up your needle if you do the satin stitch with the machine around the edge as I did.  I added the venetian lace around the bottom of the tier drop skirt after I made the skirt itself and then did the applique.

I pinned on the upside down scallop of the lace from the jacket and alternated tierdrops.


I appliqued the lace around the edge with a tiny satin stitch being careful to not interrupt the edging of the venetian lace trim and then quilted lightly through the lace and tierdrop corner so it would lay flat nicely.

The end result of the bottom of the skirt is here, but I still am not sure about the outfit itself... Feels like I should be dancing or something.  I still have the blouse to do which I felt this satin charmeuse white damask type would be another great experiment with some pleating from my new pleater board.... pictures to follow.

This whole outfit is just one experiment after another.... BUT FIRST  I have to be Rosie the Riveter for Holloween and I have to make the Little Alphabet Tote for my little grand-daughter out of Pur Pel Vinyl with letters and numbers on the outside...

This Outfit started out inexpensive.... 2.97 a yard... BUT.. the white lace overlay came from the 25.00 a yard lace Evening Spec. table...(yard and half of the White Lace- admitting there is some leftover for appliqueing on other things) and the Venetian Lace edging was expensive too... (also had more than needed-to be used later).....BUT... it seemed important at the time....and the pleater board was expensive, but I am going to experiment with it on this blouse and then use it on little dresses for my grand daughter-that is the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment